Sunday, March 6, 2011

THARS GOLD IN THEM THAR REDNECKS

Now I am not a sophisticated investor. I stick to the basics, I buy things cheap, and try to sell them high. I do fairly well at this when I engage in it. But, money is a fascinating subject and I study it. Lately I've been reading a book on investing and one of the methods it suggested was to invest in dividend paying stocks. And, I am sophisticated enough to understand that. I buy a small chunk of the company and they pay me my share of the profits every so often. I get that. It's nearly as simple as buy low sell high. Even I can understand that.

So, just as if I have any money to throw at the market I was futzing around and looking up dividend paying stocks, and found  a couple of things. First off they're hard to find.  Second stocks that pay a decent return are even more rare. But they are out there. However, the most amusing thing I found was that apparently, there's gold in rednecks. The average dividend is 3% or less, but World Wrestling Entertainment pays nearly 11%. That's right those dudes with strange names, and in funny spandex costumes pay like a slot machine. Not as good as real estate stocks mind you, but right up there. I'm sure that says something about our society, but I have no idea what. In the meantime I'll be watching WWE on the street if it takes a dip I may buy a share or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment