Saturday, August 27, 2011

FAST TALKING


Unlike many Americans and nearly all Democrats, I learned long ago that the thing to do when you make a mistake is to own up to it, take the consequences, learn from it, and move on. Of course when I do something right I want to do the same thing which is why I'm so opposed to inefficient government subjecting me to excessive taxation to take care of those that don't do these things, but I digress. This is actually not another political blog.


You see, I was running late for an appointment a couple of weeks ago. Not late late, but not my customary 5 or 10 minutes early, and wasn't paying attention to my speed. As I was driving down a main thoroughfare I rounded a corner, and there they were. The Travis County Revenue Enhancement Department, Motorcycle Division. And there I was the only car visible on the road, and I had their radar pointed directly at me. I glance at my speedometer, and they had me dead to rights. I was doing 60 in a 45. So, I flipped on my hazards, waved to them as I passed by them, and turned onto a side road.



As soon as I turned onto said side road I saw a parking lot with a shade tree I could pull under, and it being well over 100 I decided both the sheriff's deputy and myself would be more comfortable under the shade so I drove the extra block to park under the tree.



At first the deputy was somewhat belligerent sounding when he asked, “Why'd you make me follow all the way into this parking lot?”

I responded truthfully, that I figure we'd both be safer and more comfortable under the shade off the roadway. He allowed as to how the shade was nice, and let that go. He then asked me if I knew why he'd pulled me over.




I responded in keeping with my take your punishment like a man and move on way of life, “I'm guessing, just guessing mind you, that it was because I came around that corner going like the hammers of hell were chasing me.”

He actually snickered. Now it's important to realize that all I really wanted to do was take my ticket and get back on the road. He asked, “Where were you going in such a hurry?”




Here again, I truthfully answered, “I have a doctor's appointment, but it's not an emergency, I'm just running a few minute late. But that's not really even the deal, I simply wasn't paying attention.”



He then spent a few minutes running my license, registration, and inspection. Presumably to make sure I wasn't a wanted ax murderer driving a stolen not inspected car. Then he approached my window again, handed me license and insurance, and said, “I don't normally do this, but since you took responsibility, and found shade, I'm going to let you go with a warning.”



Got on his bike, and rode off. So it just goes to show you guys that even when screwing up taking responsibility makes things much less harsh than they have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment